Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can anyone name and explain the formatting mark that appears at the end of line 2 and start of line 3 in the image below please?

The image is a screenshot taken from Word 2010 and shows text in a document header.

Thanks in advance

Word formatting mark

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

That is just the "hard-return" mark like in line 1.
It just looks different in the font that you are using in line 2-3.

share|improve this answer
Well - duh. I'd never noticed that formatting marks took on their parent font. Thanks. – Neil Moss Jul 26 '13 at 15:09
@NeilMoss I didn't either until about 5 years ago I got the same question from a user when I was doing helpdesk/support. I looked at it for a couple of minutes. Tried to type a few char's and then hit the Enter key. Then I realized what was happening. – Tonny Jul 26 '13 at 18:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .