Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know that ^-X 2 splits the screen horizontally between two buffers.

I'd like to split it vertically, though - how do I do this with emacs?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

C-x 3 is the default binding for split-window-horizontally.

Note: my intuitive understanding of a "horizontal" split is what, in emacs-specific-lingo, is a "vertical" split, and vice-versa. (brought into answer from drew's comment below)

share|improve this answer
And by "horizontally" Emacs means what you (@blueberryfields) are asking for: splitting into two windows side by side. What you call splitting horizontally (what C-x 2 does) is what Emacs calls splitting vertically (into two windows one above the other). – Drew Sep 1 '13 at 19:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.