Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My dad wrote a new word file and saved it with a same name to a word file previously saved. Now previous file was overwritten. How can I restore this file and keep the new one as well.

Now the answers to the questions I might be asked -

  1. I tried Recuva, ~WRD???.TMP thing as well but it was of no use.
  2. I tried 3 others Word Regenerator, Recover My Files & Recovery Toolbox for Word.
  3. I use Office 2013 and Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and in Office13 I checked there was no previous unsaved versions in Info -> Versions
  4. In Windows 8 I couldn't find any restore previous versions in file properties. I think since its because system restore wasn't on.

Lastly I haven't saved anything on the drive.

Is there anything that I haven't tried or can be done about the issue.

share|improve this question
If the file recovery software cannot recover it then you are out of options. Sounds like you didn't setup file versions before this mistake was made. You are out of luck. Office only keeps tracks of versions if its the same file that is modified, your father, replaced the file. Simply said the file is lost. – Ramhound Aug 6 '13 at 18:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .