Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to enable proper mouse support in GNU screen so that I can switch the focus between split windows using my mouse?

In other words, I'm looking for a mouse-driven alternative to typing 'C-a Tab'.


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I believe that GNU Screen's upstream may have proper mouse support. See Mouse in screen(1) on the Linux console?.

Also check Debian Sid (unstable), since according to the first answer found for the said post, Debian Unstable has the latest version/release thingy of GNU Screen.

This, however, may mean that you'll have to build Screen from source, which in of itself shouldn't be too difficult, but if you've never done this kind of thing before it can be a bit intimidating.

share|improve this answer
Yes! I can confirm this works on Debian testing too. Just insert mousetrack on in ~\.screenrc. – enricoferrero Nov 13 '13 at 19:07
I can also confirm that this sucker definitely works on Mac OS X, it's a bit tricky to compile, feel free to use the homebrew formula I wrote. I'm also planning on writing a build script for unix-like systems in general, but that'll have to wait for a bit. NOTE on Mac OS X, at least for me, I had to specify mousetrack on instead of whatever the other options where, in order to get it work. – Alexej Magura Nov 13 '13 at 21:34
I am using Debian Jessie, seems that mousetrack on not works for me. Is that the version issue? I check the dpkg -s screen, the version is Version: 4.2.1-3. While screen -v print Screen version 4.02.01 (GNU) 28-Apr-14. Kind of weird. – Tmx Apr 3 '15 at 7:38
@Tmx I'm not sure; I don't use Screen or Tmux anymore, sorry. It's unlikely to related to the fact you're using Debian Jessie: it's much more likely that you're using the wrong version. If your package manager says one thing, but the package says another: believe the package. I'd try building the latest stable version of Screen from scratch and see if it starts working. – Alexej Magura Apr 3 '15 at 7:57

One can add

mousetrack on

to ~/.screenrc

share|improve this answer

GNU screen does not use the mouse in any way.
If you want that behaviour, you could try tmux instead. To enable that behaviour in tmux, add the following line to ~/.tmux.conf :

set -g mouse-select-pane on
share|improve this answer
I see, that seems to explain why I can't find this information anywhere. – enricoferrero Aug 8 '13 at 20:44
This is outdated; the latest version of screen does support use of the mouse. – Patrick Sanan Jun 12 '14 at 6:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .