Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an old computer with the mouse not working because the cable connector is broken on the mouse. The mouse connection is directly on the computer, not on the keyboard. The mouse connection(which is broken) on the mouse has 6 round pins and 1 flat pin. Where can I get an old mouse or an adapter from a USB mouse to the computer?

share|improve this question
That's what's known as a "PS/2" mouse. Use that term in Google and you will probably find a few hits (though read carefully, as often the people writing the ads don't know what "PS/2" means in this context.) Or (a bit more practically) you can get an adapter to adapt a USB mouse to the PS/2 connector. – Daniel R Hicks Aug 11 '13 at 20:57
Here is one that's straight-up PS/2, with a photo of the connector:… – Daniel R Hicks Aug 11 '13 at 20:58
@Scott How about a PCI add-in card that gives you 2 or more USB ports? Is there a reason this is not done? – cybernard Aug 11 '13 at 22:41
This computer already has 4 USB ports but my USB mouse doesn't work with them. I don't know much about adding a PCI card. Would this make the proposed USB connections workable with a mouse? – Scott Aug 12 '13 at 4:41

What your mouse has is PS/2 connector (Green):


You can search for what you need now that you know (PS/2 mouse).

If you have a USB mouse, you can convert it to PS/2 with a usb to ps/2 adaptor:

usb to ps2 converter

Again, you can search for a place to purchase for your particular area of the world.

share|improve this answer
Small addition: This will work iff (if and only if) you have a mouse which understands both the USB and the PS/2 protocols. That used to be common, but do not expect it to work if you get a new mouse. – Hennes Aug 11 '13 at 21:13
In general, a good rule of thumb is just to get a mouse with one of those if you can ;) – Journeyman Geek Aug 12 '13 at 3:26

A few PC shops in my area often have bargain bins for PS/2 keyboards and mice (albeit grotty, and yellowed from bromine flame retarding plastics). If they don't have them out front, ask them. Chances are they have one sitting around cluttering up space, that they would be willing to flog for a couple bucks.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .