Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need some help identifying a cable that I found in my house. I hope this is the right place to ask it. It said computer hardware, so a cable would count right?

Anyway, I took a couple of pictures and hope someone can identify it. I thought it was micro USB, but that doesn't seem correct when I compared it to the pictures I saw on the web. The other end of the cable is just a regular USB that plugs into any USB port on a computer.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here is the bottom part:

enter image description here

Here is the top part:

enter image description here

Here is my attempt at taking a pic of the inside:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
At first instance it looks like Mini-USB cable but it is not. Looks like some sort of proprietary cable with USB interface. Any brand/company names stamped on the cable? – Shivaranjan Aug 13 '13 at 0:50
I vaguely recall seeing similar cables off VERY cheap chinese made cameras. It MIGHT be a mini A – Journeyman Geek Aug 13 '13 at 1:04
up vote 4 down vote accepted

That is a I-USB7 cable.

It acts just like a normal usb cable, but the connector is shaped differently than the standard mini connector.

It was commonly used on Pentax Cameras

It may also be a CB-USB7 cable which was used on Olympus cameras. However CB-USB7 were thinner if I remember correctly.

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot. So this cable can only be used with Pentax cameras or does any other device has this type of connector? I don't have a Pentax camera, so I still can't figure out what gadget this cable came with. – Aseem Kishore Aug 13 '13 at 1:47
Other vendors like cannon, and olympus also used proprietary connectors for a time. I've also seen camcorders that used either the I-USB7 or the CB-USB7. – spuder Aug 13 '13 at 1:58
I've seen either similar or the same connector on Canon, Nikon, and Kodak cameras. All were slightly different, and, without seeing it in person, I couldn't tell you which it was from. It could also be from another device from an Asian manufacturer. – Joshua Nurczyk Aug 13 '13 at 13:06

This is a very common kind of cable, I think the others have explained it, but you find it fits in camera's, nook, ps3 pad possibly. Just see if it fits, and then you'll know.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .