Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Windows 7.

My C:// drive has a total disk of 50 GB . My G:// and F:// drives have much disk free in each (50 GB minimum).

Due to all of the programs I install, my C:// drive is almost full (4 GB left).

Now , my question is how do I transfer that extra 50 GB from the G:// and F:// drives in to the C:// drive , so I get some more space.


So, after going through other posts , I found this , will this work ?


Okay , nevertheless , looks like I will try this quite unsafe thing some other day along with a techie . Thanks for all your help everybody.

share|improve this question
Have you tried to move documents, music and photos to the another drive to free up space on C:? – CharlieRB Aug 14 '13 at 12:53
Actually , they are not documents ,all are program files on C:// , and I tried moving few programs from C to G , but that made them (programs) behave abnormally :( – Gaurang Tandon Aug 14 '13 at 12:57
Is this one physical disk with multiple partitions? Or multiple physical drives – AthomSfere Aug 14 '13 at 13:07
Quite confusing what you said, but what I know is that F:// and G:// were pre-existing on my pc. – Gaurang Tandon Aug 14 '13 at 13:09
Right-click Computer, then choose Management, Disk management. There you can see how your partitions are divided over physical disks. Then update your question with that information: "Disk 0 contains partitions ..." etc. – Jan Doggen Aug 14 '13 at 13:24

If you have only one physical hard drive in your computer, then the drives you are seeing are partitions on that drive.

Windows 7 has the ability to re-size partitions; more info is here.

While it is quite safe, I heartily exhort you to back up your files before trying this.

share|improve this answer
Okay , so I have one physical hard drive in my PC . But nevertheless , looks like I will try this quite unsafe thing some other day along with a techie . – Gaurang Tandon Aug 15 '13 at 5:04

If the G: and F: drives are actually different disks then you can't transfer free space around like that. If they are the same drive and just different partitions then you might be able to use a partition manager to resize the partitions to do what you want (but realize that this is an inherently dangerous task when the partitions involved contain data, tools should be able to do it safely but if things go wrong they can go very wrong).

The simpler alternative is, as @CharlieRB mentions in his comment, to try to move things that do not need to live on your C: drive to one of the other drives. Many/most applications can even be installed to a non-default drive.

share|improve this answer
Well , I don't know much , but I know that F:// and G:// were pre-existing on my pc. – Gaurang Tandon Aug 14 '13 at 12:59
Just found this ,will it be suitable ? – Gaurang Tandon Aug 14 '13 at 13:08… this link will help you to get to the application which will let you know which partitions are on which disks and see if you can "transfer" space from one to another. I would highly recommend to move files instead, tho, as resizing partitions is considered unsafe. (data loss risk) – mveroone Aug 14 '13 at 13:38
Actually, you can use a partition (I believe even on a different physical disk) as a regular directory; they don't need to have a drive letter assigned. That may or may not be a workable approach. – Michael Kjörling Aug 14 '13 at 14:12
That's a good thing if Windows can do that but it doesn't directly impact the current question as that would require moving the entirety of some large directory hierarchy which may or may not be possible and may or may not have a good candidate for doing that with. – Etan Reisner Aug 14 '13 at 14:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .