I have bought a 4GB memory upgrade (2x 2GB PC2-5300 SODIMM) for my Acer Aspire 5102WLMi (Aspire 5100 Series) laptop, I installed the two memory modules correctly however with 4GB installed the laptop refuses to POST. I have tried the following:
- Tried both 2GB SODIMMs without the other (Worked Fine)
- Tried the original 512MB SODIMMs (Worked Fine)
- Tried with original 512MB SODIMM and new 2GB SODIMM (Worked Fine)
- Tried swapping over the 2GB SODIMs (Didn't Boot)
- Left the computer for 10 minutes with both 2GB SODIMMs installed (Didn't Boot)
- Checked latest BIOS installed (No Change)
The Crucial website said that the laptop supported 4GB of RAM as do several other sites through found through Google, up until now I was fairly confident this would work.
Couple of questions that would be good to have answered:
- Question: Has anyone got an Acer Aspire 5100 Series running with 4GB RAM?
Answer: Yes, I have now got one working with 3.75GB Usable, the rest is occupied utilized by the Graphics Card.
- Question: Any tips on getting this to work; is there a CMOS reset switch?
Answer: Yes there is, if both SODIMMs are removed two very small interlocking PCB tracks are revealed. If these are shorted together with a screwdriver the BIOS will be reset.