My network is already set up and has been working for "a while". I have wifi and wired internet on a bunch of devices and stations (more than I care to admit), the gigabit router is working and configured. Everything is wifi g or 100mbit or newer. I recently reloaded windows on 3 of the most used stations.
My cap to the internet is 16mbit/1mbit which I just ran off of speedtest.net (and realize that i need to bang on TW for not giving me anything close to 50 like I'm supposed to have). Everything can be running like netflix, steam games, bittorrent, etc etc, concurrently and there's no problems.
But when I go to copy files from one station to another, I can never seem to crack 20mbit. It doesn't cap at 20mbit (I watch using the excellent networx http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/), it vacillates up and down and never quite seems to manage ~20mbit. On some stations it never even gets close to that even tho I have no 10mbit nics in the house.
Right now I'm copying my library of music production source files from a pc to laptop. The files vary in size from a couple megs to a couple gigs. And I realize that copying 1k * 2mbyte files will be significantly slower than 1 * 2gbyte file, but even on the big files, it doesn't pick up. But between to gigabit nics, wired, I would expect it to be >20x the current speed.
I would expect that, even between 2 wireless g devices, I could get > 40mbit with the tech cap being 54mbit, and that between 2 gigabit stations, that i could get > 500mbit (reviews say they got 700 consistently)
Note: I'm not trying to get 100% advertised speed. I know that's not really attainable in windows. I would just like to use the tech that I have on my machines.
This has been a consistent problem for as long as I can remember, spanning routers, windows reloads and various devices with the only constant being my home office work pc... and even it's only constant for a couple years. This is actually the reason I bought this router like a year ago. However today it finally got on my nerves when the file copy is telling me 4 days.
I found and ran j/iperf between the 2 machines. TCP wouldn't work, but UDP did. Max cabled speed: 275 mbit. Max wifi <> desktop speed: 275mbit. That is exactly the sata drive to drive speed I get on the desktop, ~33mbyte/s, but iperf is supposed to eliminate the drive factor. I can however confirm that neither drive thrashed. Not exactly the speed I'd like to have, but it's like 12x what I'm getting. I can't for the life of me believe that there's a 92% overhead between a lab test and real world use.
I also checked powersave/green/EE settings and turned off a couple of them. Managed to gain about 5% speed in iperf.
But I did find a solution . . .