What I have :
- Desktop, wired internet access to a wired-only router
- Laptop, wireless capable
- Windows 8.1 Preview on both computers - it's practically Windows 8 with some UI touches and performance tweaks
What I would need :
- A device connected to the desktop, as an network proxy (so to say) that would offer wireless access to the laptop (and smartphones etc).
- The wireless network access to be available only when the desktop is running.
Surely, the first thing I hear is "Replace your wired router to a wireless router" but I don't want for access to be available when the desktop is off. The reason for my slightly strange request is that I don't want a source of radiation when I sleep or whenever I don't really need WiFi access. I would refrain on arguing on how WiFi is not bad to your health, no research studies bla bla. I just don't want it. If this whole thing can't be done so be it, just tell me.
Things that might be useful in my case but don't understand them enough :
- (USB) Wireless bridge
- ICS : Internet Connection Sharing