Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I click a sound volume control key while I am playing music using the Music App (X-Box Music) on Windows 8 a small panel comes up on the desktop showing me what is playing, the current sound volume, forward a track button, back a track button.

Is there a name for this "small desktop display of an app" and is there a way to bring it up without hitting a volume key, so if I wanted to fast forward to the next track without leaving the desktop for example?

share|improve this question
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.