Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Windows, I want to enter a key command and have whatever window is currently beneath the cursor be made the active window. Is there a piece of software that makes this possible?

share|improve this question
What is the OS? Are you familliar with the constant activating of windows for which the mouse is over at the time… It does not ever work for me, but it is good to know what it is, and how it works. – Psycogeek Aug 30 '13 at 18:00
I'm currently using Windows 7, but I'd like it to work for XP as well – Keyslinger Aug 30 '13 at 18:36

Why don't you simply click on it? I think it is both faster and more time sufficient than any other solution. (I wanted to write this as a comment, but unfortunately I don't have the right amount of reputation)

share|improve this answer
The reason is I will sometimes think I'm in one window, start typing, and realize I'm in another window. Since my hands are already on the keyboard, it is much easier for me to hit some hotkeys, and continue typing than reach for the mouse, mouse up to the top of the window. and click. – Keyslinger Aug 30 '13 at 15:15
Well, in that case why don't you look at your monitor, then hit Alt+Tab and once you get to your desired window, start typing? You could also try Alt+Shift+Tab. – Jacob Rabinsun Aug 30 '13 at 15:35
I should also mention that I have come along such programs that assign hot keys to each open window in Windows, but to be honest I don't remember their names at the moment. – Jacob Rabinsun Aug 30 '13 at 15:36
I like Alt+Tab but I have lots of windows open so it isn't always very efficient – Keyslinger Aug 30 '13 at 16:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .