It's been a couple of weeks now that I feel that my pc is feeling slower than usual. Not just network related things but just about everything gets a delay (timings at the end of the post). It's like my IO decides to take a nap until the next reboot.
I couldn't really pinpoint what was causing the issue until I restarted my laptop with the hardware switch to turn off the wifi off in it's off state. Suddenly the machine is working at it's full speed again! Sure though once I turned wifi back on everything slowed down again. Even enabling wifi adapter without connecting to any network slows everything down.
A person would think that switching the adapter back to off disabling the adapter would fix the problem again but no luck there. The only fix to have the system run fast again is to reboot the system with the hardware switch off.
Even when I work offline without any connection whatsoever the pc stays slower...
One other thing I noticed is that when my AC adapter isn't plugged in the pc seems to go faster again (on balanced and high performance power setting) which completely makes no sense :/
My laptop is mainly connected using gigabit connection to the company network but I also make a wireless connection to reroute all the internet traffic through the wireless network.
Things I already checked/changed/tested:
- renew all adapters (either using ipconfig or by pulling out cable)
- Disabled bluetooth adapter during all the tests
- Updated the network adapter drivers to their latest version
- The routing table is identical before enabling / after re-disabling the wifi adapter
My system consists out (relevant items):
- Dell Latitude E6520 Running Windows 7 64 bit
- Wireless network card: Intel centrino advanced-n 6235 (driver v: 22.214.171.124)
- Wired network card: Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (driver v: 126.96.36.199)
So if anyone can point me in the direction on what this could be caused by that would be a big help!
Testing results (all averaged from 3 trials):
Starting current developing app from visual studio Before Wifi on: 4.4 sec After Wifi on: 14.7 sec Starting Windows Explorer Before Wifi on: 0.4 sec After Wifi on: 1.3 sec Going to lockscreen Before Wifi on: 0.4 sec After Wifi on: 1.5 sec
Network connectivity before Wifi on: After wifi was turned on: