I've been having quite some unsettling issues with my desktop recently In the last 6 months up until now I've had an alarmingly growing rate of malfunctions.
In chronological order:
- RAM started cutting out, wouldn't show full amount of RAM on system info. (Disappeared until today's return)
- BSOD's regarding RAM (Frequent)
- On boot will start up, power down and restart 1-3 times before completing boot-up. (Permanent)
- CPU Fan malfunction, no longer starts on its own and needs a manual kickstart. (Recent, permanent)
- Total CPU Fan malfunction, no longer operates, even after manual kickstart. (Recent, permanent)
- Harddrives cutting out, 4 out of 6 no longer showing in Windows. States they are corrupt or wrong file format and need a formatting. (Note: The only drives not cutting out are SSD's on SATA6 chip) (Just now)
All of these issues lead me to a motherboard malfunction. I doubted up until 4 drives just decided to be inaccessible after a few hours.
My current PC specs:
- OS: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
- Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
- RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3-1600 CL8 kit (3x2GB)
- CPU: Intel Core i7 960 (@ Factory clock) CPU Fan: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B
- GPU: 2x SLI MSI N580GTX Lightning
- Soundcard: Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB
- HDD: 2x RAID0 Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 2x RAID0 250GB 7200rpm WD
- PSU: Corsair TX950W
The total computer is about 3 years old, except for the older, smaller hard drives which came from my desktop before that. This desktop was built myself.
Troubleshooting steps taken:
- Tons of reboots
- RAM re-positioned, connectors cleaned
- Newest BIOS installed
- Motherboard reset
- Fan cleaned and serviced with contact spray Fan power socket swapped Checked if cables were properly connected
- Cut power from computer entirely, gave capacitors a chance to empty, restarted.
- Reverted BIOS to factory settings.
I'm at the point of losing sanity right now. Everything is dying and I have no clue why it is or how I prevent it. I do not have the budget to splurge on replacements parts since I'm a student and this desktop was a hefty investment for long-term use. Now I'm looking for input to help pinpoint and hopefully resolve the problem. I will happily take any suggestions!
RAM failing, frequent RAM related BSOD's, CPU fan failing, 4/6 hard drives inaccessible. Prime suspect = faulty motherboard.