Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently switched to an android phone, which is the first smart phone I have. There is an IM app I must use for daily life, but it got too much i/o which laaaaaaaaaags my entire phone. Basically it writes too many temporary/cache files (image received) into my phone too often.

Then I remind I've been using some program called "Ramdisk" on my Windows Laptop to deal with this problem, I know there's something similar called "tmpfs" for Linux, since Android is based on Linux, can I get tmpfs on my phone and link the cache directory to it? My phone has 2GB RAM, which usually still has 800MB free during heavy usage. I'm thinking take about 200MB~300MB of RAM to use for those annoying cache. So the question is:

  1. If all of this is possible, do you think this will solve my problem? (My phone is a quad core phone, doesn't support SD cards. I think the I/O is the cause of lag, or am I wrong?)
  2. Can I get tmpfs on my android phone? (Running stock rom "MIUI V5" based on Android 4.1.1, rooted)
  3. Once I get tmpfs done, how can I link those cache directory to it?
  4. What do I need and how can I get it done? (I don't have busybox installed and I've no idea how to install it.)

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Bob, gronostaj, Tog, Mokubai, Breakthrough Sep 9 '13 at 20:04

  • This question does not appear to be about computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

No, it won't help. That 800MB that's "free" effectively is a ramdisk already. Spare memory is already used to minimize I/O on almost all modern operating systems.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.