After formating and reinstalling my desktop with Win XP Home Edition I installed the newest software for my wifi USB adapter TP-Link TL-WN721N. Everything went fine and the signal was strong. I connected to the internet to download all the necessary things and about 15 seconds of browsing later my connection stopped working. The signal was still strong, I was still connected to the network but there were no packets sent either up or down and no webpages were loading anymore. This problem persisted after reconnecting to the network, restarting the computer and even reinstalling the windows anew. Other computers that are connected to this wifi network have no problems.
I tried several solutions I found on Google but to no avail. Ping command fails to contact any server, ipconfig/release works but ipconfig/renew is unable to contact DHCP server. ipconfig/flushdns works but is of no help.