Here's a short explanation of my last 12 hours:
- Needed to learn Ruby on Rails
- Attempted to do so on my machine (factory installed windows 8 dell laptop, 7720 SE)
- Ruby doesn't like Windows, so I figured I'd try and dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows
- Created a 100GB partition in the disk management utility on windows 8
- Dragged the ubuntu ISO into that partition, ran the installation
- Rebooted my PC and was met with "No Operating System found"
- Went into my BIOS and found no boot options in UEFI mode -- only "network".
- Went into Legacy mode, and still had no boot options
- Hit a "reset to defaults" option -- which added the default 5 boot options to LEGACY mode (still no options other than Network in UEFI)
- Attempted to boot in Legacy mode, was met with "Operating system error" @ 0xc000098
- Decided "screw it, I'll reformat" -- but I didn't have my windows 8 discs because those apparently don't come with w8 laptops now?
- Inserted windows 7 discs, attempted to install it
- When I attempted to select my 900GB HDD (which had windows 8), it said I couldn't install windows 7 on that partition because it was of the type "GPT"
- I superuser searched for a way to format the HDD and to convert it back to MBR/NFTS (I'm probably saying that wrong, don't have a super strong understanding of it)
- I ran a few commandline things when on the windows 7 installer to format and change to NTFS the 900GB partition
- It formatted ok (apparently) and I rebooted my PC
- I went to install windows 7 but for some reason nothing other than the 100GB partition showed up... my other 900GB have all but disappeared apparently.
I reluctantly installed windows 7 (With no licence, and because I wiped my HDD I can't do the dell restore that would get me my registered windows 8 back -- so now I have to go drop $150 on a Windows licence) and now I am running unregistered Windows 7 on a 100GB partition...
MY END GOAL is:
- To have my full 1TB back
- To run Linux as my primary OS, with dual-boot windows 7 for gaming purposes.
Based on my explanation of what I did above, and what my end goal, is it still possible to recover this PC and to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish? If so: where should I start?