Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a C:/ with 24 GB free and Unallocated space with 397 GB free.

The Unallocated space contained my files until it was deleted.

Now, I have used a data recovery software, and am able to view the required files. I have about 87 GB of data to be backed up.

I do not have any external or removable media of that capacity. Also, as said, my C:/ has space for only 24 GB of them. Will it still possible for me to restore the same to the unallocated space or by creating a Simple Volume without overwriting any of the required data?

Or, is it possible to do a recovery of the entire partition in place? (Something like Undo - Redo?

I have not switched off my laptop, have a Live CD as well. I do not want to simply follow the tutorials on the net and put my data at risk.

share|improve this question
how was the space unallocated? I'd probably try testdisk from windows, and see if the partition is detected, and use that to restore – Journeyman Geek Sep 30 '13 at 2:26
I right clicked on the the drive from the Disk Management and in the pretext of shrinking the partition, deleted it. Also, I did try TestDisk, but it says: "The following partitions can't be recovered". – Gathan Sep 30 '13 at 2:29
But, 3-4 recovery software have been able to list all the data I need. I just have to provide a destination to the files. – Gathan Sep 30 '13 at 2:30
up vote 2 down vote accepted

"I do not have any external or removable media of that capacity." Then borrow one. Or buy one. Don't, I repeat, don't write to the HDD where your data is. It's always a bad idea.

In this particular case, we don't know for sure how the data was laid out in the now unallocated space. It isn't certain that it was contiguous. You could create a new partition at the beginning (or end) of the unallocated space and end up overwriting some data.

The only safe way to recover data is to write it in a non-affected partition; to be really worry-free the better way is to write to a new HDD.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, will creating something like an image suffice, so that I can restore my contents back from the image, when I find one? – Gathan Sep 30 '13 at 2:32
@Gathan I don't know. I've never tried it. – That Brazilian Guy Sep 30 '13 at 2:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.