I have a situation with 2 computers, connected over LAN with a 100Mb/s switch. I need to be able to "record" the screen of the "main" computer (1200*1600 pixels) on the other. I mean - I want to save to the disk of the recorder computer x pictures per seconds, and I want x to be as large as I can.
- The quality of the images is not that important (but it has to be reasonable).
- I don't care about security since its a local network.
- The main computer is pretty busy so I don't want to perform heavy action like compression, or print screen every time (I prefer to use the video driver if possible).
- The LAN is also pretty busy with other communications between the computers.
- I need to be able to control the start/stop recording from my code - so I need some API (I'm using windows-xp and writing in C#). What is the best way to do it? VNC? Remote-Desktop? TeamViewer?
I've tried to run UltraVNC server on the main computer, and an open source client of VNC (in C#) on the recording computer vncSharp. I was able to save about 6 images per seconds, without any other traffic over the network - but with traffic it went down to about 1.5 images per second. Is there a good way to improve the performances?