I've always been cursed with the ability to develop a static charge very easily.
It's never caused problems just sitting at my keyboard before. (I always discharge before I get inside to tinker)
My system recently started shutting down when I come back to my desk and discharge a shock on my keyboard tray. I've used the same configuration for quite a while. The PC is over 3 years old. I've been at this desk for 2 years and have had the keyboard tray for about a year. A month ago I moved my PC from under my desk on the left to under it on the right. However, the shocks turning off the PC only started happening within the last couple of weeks.
Even though My APC power strip "protection working" light was on. I swapped out the strip and power cable from the PC. I'm not sure what to check next.