I have a freeBSD server that worked fine in its old location, but I moved it to a new location with a new ISP and a new static IP address. I replaced the old static IP with the new static IP in /etc/rc.conf . I also changed the netmask and defaultrouter to new addresses (given to me by isp). I then changed the nameserver addresses in /etc/resolv.conf
machinename# /etc/rc.d/netif restart machinename# ping www.google.com ping: cannot resolve www.google.com: Host name lookup failure.
I have two network cards rl0 and xl0 and after entering
machinename# /etc/rc.d/netif restart
only lo0 and xl0 show up. rl0 is missing.
I have tried two different network topologies
- modem --> freeBSD server --> router (topology at previous location)
- modem --> router --> freeBSD server (with port forwarding enabled on router)