Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to write the degree/grade (°) symbol in Firefox so I can write °C, for example, but each time I press Alt + 0176 doesn't work since Firefox has Alt + any number as keybindings for changing tabs, so another method is desirable. How do I do this?

share|improve this question
I'm currently on Firefox 24, and it lets me write ° symbol with Alt+0176 (as you see, I have typed it)... So, I'm not sure, but maybe update will help you? – Jet Oct 15 '13 at 17:57
The question apparently has nothing specific to do with Firefox. It seems to be about typing characters in Linux. The question should thus be closed, and a new question should be asked, after checking whether existing questions on the topic (about typing characters in Linux) cover the issue. – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 15 '13 at 18:00
@JukkaK.Korpela super user is for anyone, using any OS, be it Linux or Windows. It has everything to do with Firefox, as I'm trying to use firefox to do this. – Braiam Oct 15 '13 at 18:07
@JukkaK.Korpela I'd refresh your knowledge on the tour page, about what's on topic or not – Canadian Luke Oct 15 '13 at 18:07
Whatever Superuser is for, the question was grossly misleading (it did not mention Linux at all), and it still is, since Firefox is not the issue here. The issue is system-dependent input methods, but the question (and the poster’s own answer) seriously obscures this. If you want to ask how to do something in Linux, be my guest, but please don’t present it as a Firefox problem, and please make it clear from the start what you are asking about. – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 15 '13 at 18:20
up vote 2 down vote accepted

To do this in any major platform:

  1. Open your system character palette:
    • Windows: Start > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map or Win+R, charmap, Enter
    • OS X: Option+Command+T or Edit > Special Characters...
    • Linux:
      • Gnome: Launch gucharmap
      • KDE: Launch kcharselect
  2. Find the desired symbol
  3. Copy and Paste into application at desired location.

Other, less tedious methods include:

  • Option+Shift+8 on OS X
  • Compose,O,O on systems with Compose-key support (Linux, Windows with a custom keyboard)
share|improve this answer

If Alt number has been taken (naughty!), then you can try the Alt + code method (where code is the Unicode number in hex), i.e. Alt + B 0. But quite often it does not work; it would then require a change to Windows registry. Then I guess you would need to install a separate program for typing characters, or maybe a suitable keyboard layout.

share|improve this answer
Alt + B calls the bookmarks, so it doesn't work and it isn't platform independient. – Braiam Oct 15 '13 at 18:03
The Windows registry doesn't solve an issue in Linux – Canadian Luke Oct 15 '13 at 18:13
This answer was based on the original question, which did not mention Linux at all and strongly implied Windows. (Why would anyone even try Alt 0176 on other systems?) – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 15 '13 at 18:22
@JukkaK.Korpela - You should provide what registry changes are require, to make this solution work, since incomplete without those directions. – Ramhound Oct 16 '13 at 13:47
Added link for the info. This question should be closed, however. The formulation of the question, including its title, is grossly misleading. The topic is important, and therefore it would deserve a well-formulated question, with answers that address the same question. – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 16 '13 at 14:07

Fortunately, in Linux you can type it in Unicode format:

  • In Unicode it is encoded at U+00B0 ° degree sign, so press Ctrl + Shift + U, then type 00B0 and press enter or space, then you get the symbol.
  • If what you want is the celsius degrees symbol (℃) you can use Ctrl + Shift + U, then type 2103 same as above.

For now the best to use is the degree symbol alone so it allows you to use F, K or for angular degrees, etc.

share|improve this answer
Things like Ctrl Shift U are heavily system-dependent and probably don’t do anything useful in Windows, which is where Alt 0176 works. The character U+2103 is not recommended in Unicode. The degree sign “°” has not been part of the correct symbol for the kelvin (K) for decades. – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 15 '13 at 17:24
@JukkaK.Korpela But it doesn't work in firefox, in any OS I've tried, if you could try I invite you to do so. Also, as you can read in my question Alt + 0176 do NOT work and this method solves my question. – Braiam Oct 15 '13 at 17:29
Since Alt 0176 is specifically a Windows method, it was grossly misleading to ask about it without telling that you are working with Linux. There was no reason to even try Alt 0176 then. Besides, in different Linux distributions, different methods need to be used. – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 15 '13 at 17:37
@JukkaK.Korpela actually I tried both Ubuntu and Debian, and my main propuse is to get it working in Firefox, being OS independient which Unicode works for boths. Your method simply doesn´t work in Linux while mine doesn´t work in Windows, there are no "Universal method" to do so, so both answers are right on their own. Also, SU isn´t for Windows user but for any OS user, is just overbearing saying someone is wrong just because it´s platform independient. Windows isn´t the one playing nice, all Linux distros supports Ctrl + Shift + U for tryping Unicode codes. I just asked the wrong place. – Braiam Oct 15 '13 at 17:45
The place was not wrong. The question formulation was. – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 15 '13 at 18:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.