I posted here a while back about a problem pulling an IP from my router's DHCP on a Windows 7 machine. Since posting that message, I've taken even more drastic steps, but I still can't pull and maintain an IP from DHCP.
Sometimes, my computer will boot with an IP and keep it for a while (20-30 minutes). It will then lose the IP and end up with an automatic private IP (169.254.x.x). Here's a quick list of the key things I've done in troubleshooting.
- Swapped cables with a working computer (and rebooted the router)
- Updated NIC drivers on the computer
- System restore to a time when the computer was working
- Complete format and reinstall of Windows 7
- Boot from a bootable USB flash drive with a Windows XP install (Hiren's BootCD)
- Add PCI-E NIC (Intel NIC still can't pull an IP)
- Replaced Gigabyte motherboard via RMA (New board still can't pull an IP)
- Tested the rails on my PSU with a multi-meter
On the surface, this seems obvious that my problem is the router. I would just replace it if not for the fact that every other device in my house works with the same router. This includes several wireless devices, a couple of notebooks, and another desktop computer which also has a Gigabyte mobo with the same on-board NIC (Atheros gigabit NIC).
Here's the output of an
ipconfig/all when it doesn't get an IP:
Here's the output of an
ipconfig/all when it does get an IP:
I'm running out of ideas here. As far as I can tell, the next step is to replace this motherboard with an entirely different model. Does anyone else have ideas?
Update: My connection just went down again after working for a full day. I didn't use it for the entire day, but I did check periodically. Now, I can't pull an IP again.
I have disabled IPv6 for the adapter. I also ran some tests suggested by a commenter. Here's what I found.
- I've manually configured what I believe is a valid IP. It's inside my DHCP range but not currently assigned to any client.
- I'm unable to ping this computer from other clients on the network.
- I'm unable to ping other clients from this computer.
- I'm unable to ping the router from this computer.
route print from the offending system:
route print from a working system:
Final Update: Hey, everyone. Thanks so much for your help. I've discovered the problem and wanted to share it with you.
I mentioned that I had tested the power supply with a multi-meter and all the rails showed proper voltage, but it seems that test didn't tell the whole story. On a hunch, I grabbed a power supply and swapped it in just to test. With the new power supply, I'm able to pull an IP consistently. I'm not sure if the rails are not consistently supplying proper power but they were when I tested or if draw on one rail from the components could cause another rail to dip. Whatever the case, it seems the power supply is the culprit.
Thanks for all your help!