Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am wondering if it is possible to use one network card to access two subnet in windows. I need to access a (LAN) local ip and WAN with DHCP. I google that someone suggests to set two ip addresses to one NIC but I don't understand how to do that if the IP for WAN is from DHCP. Do I really have to use router? I don't know much about router, can I use a HUB instead to work it out?

Some more information and first trial

It is used in my office. Total have 5 computers connected to the wall socket (WAN), IP is DHCP. I have one device with ip set to which is accessible by tcp/ip, so I need to setup the network card to the same subnet to access that device. However, if I setup the network card in that subnet, I cannot use the WAN. I am looking for a way to use both. Even I see that someone use setup two ip addresses to one NIC but there is only one port in the NIC so I think we still need a router to do so? I borrow a router, have the WAN port connect to the wall socket, one LAN port connect to the NIC and connect another LAN port to the device of With this setup, I can access WAN and that local device without any problem. However, all other the computers (connect to WAN via the wall socket) in my office can no longer access the share folder in my computer any more. I don't know what's going on.

share|improve this question
Can't help with the Windows specific bits, but no, you can't use a HUB to work it out. You might be able to circumvent the problem by finding an IP address in the subnet the DHCP server gives out, - but outside the range allocated for DHCP and statically assign this to your router - SO AT A GUESS, gateway, no gateway. –  davidgo Oct 23 '13 at 7:05
Can you please give more details? Is this a home user scenario? How many network devices are used, what is the IP config of these devices? –  Werner Henze Oct 23 '13 at 7:12
The answer is yes, absolutely - use a router. Forget about hubs –  Ashtray Oct 23 '13 at 7:14
If you can get a static IP for the WAN (ask your admin for that) then you can use this solution: http://superuser.com/questions/571575/connect-to-two-lan-networks-with-a-single‌​-card. –  Hennes Oct 23 '13 at 8:08
Thanks all. I add some more information to my question. –  user1285419 Oct 24 '13 at 0:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.