Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like a way to track changes to the settings or folders on my computer, initiated by the user. I am asking because I come in to work some mornings and find that a new program has been installed, or that my toolbars or notifications have been altered without my doing.

It's not that I think anything malicious is going on, but that our IT admin does all of his work on our machines overnight and I never know what has changed until I'm trying to find a folder that has moved. I don't think the admin uses his account to make the changes, but just logs in under our name (yeah we're a small company - very lax). I would just like some way to view the changes so I know what's new.

Thank you.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Windows has a couple of built-in facilities to track changes. I assume you already know about System Restore, which unfortunately is something of a black box, but at least some installer programs create a restore point before installing their software.

The other one is auditing. See How to audit user access of files, folders, and printers in Windows XP.

There are also many third-party programs. Two I have used are Regshot (which can also snapshot the filesystem, and compare snapshots) and Sysinternals' Autoruns, which has a more narrow focus, but this means that snapshots are much smaller :)

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the help. I tried your recommendation with auditing and it just looks like it's a little over my head after I set it up and started looking through the Event Viewer. Definitely not intuitive enough. I will check out your 3rd party suggestions next when I have time. – NoCatharsis Nov 6 '09 at 17:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.