Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not able to close a personal folder in Outlook 2003.

When I right-click on the folder and chose Close "Personal folder name", I get this error: The operation failed. The object could not be found.

When I open the list of Personal folders (either by clicking on Manage Personal Folders or on the Account Settings page), the incriminated Personal Folder file is not listed.

Nevertheless, the .pst file is present on the local hard disk, and I can access its contents in Outlook.

I want to close the folder, becouse I no longer need it and because it is too large. How can I close that Personal Folder ?

share|improve this question
What exactly do you mean by close it? Do you mean collapse the folder? – Ramhound Oct 30 '13 at 16:07
Like I said: Right-click and choose 'Close'. This will close the folder and it is no longer available, until you reconnect it. – Lorenz Meyer Oct 30 '13 at 16:11
You were not specific about which folder you were selecting. This file on the local drive or on a network drive? – Ramhound Oct 30 '13 at 16:15
The file is on the local hard drive. It is a .pst file, that is called "Personal Folder" in Outlook – Lorenz Meyer Oct 30 '13 at 16:17
.PST files can be located on any storage location you want. Have you tried removing the file from the list of Data Files in the Account Settings page? What are the permissions on the folder that contains the .PST file? – Ramhound Oct 30 '13 at 16:27
up vote 0 down vote accepted

All these strange behaviors point to a corrupted profile.

I tried several things, but did not find a way to recover from this corruption.

Finally I recreated a new profile for the user, and reconfigured it with the Personal Folders required.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .