Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am using screen ( to access my minecraft console. I created a server in /etc/init.d, and have minecraft running in the background.

Then, to access the minecraft console, I just type # screen -r in bash.

I can now do commands in the screen shell. The problem is if I do some command which exports a bunch of text, it exceeds the size of the screen and pushes the begging output off the page. And I cannot seem to scroll up and see it.

How can I scroll back and view all the output? How can I pause the output (maybe something like more or less)?

share|improve this question
Alt+PageUp and Alt+PageDown – MariusMatutiae Nov 2 '13 at 16:31
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You can try:

  • Ctr-a [ and move up and down with the arrow keys, esc for exit.
  • <commamd> | less if you are in a regular bash terminal
share|improve this answer
Thanks Agomezl. Not a regular bash terminal, but screen. Ctr-a seems to be much used with screen, so I expect you are pointing me in the right direction. When trying control-a, I can do things like "d" to detach the screen, but the up and down arrow keys have no effect. – user1032531 Nov 2 '13 at 19:51
is ctr-a + [ (note the open bracket) to enter in copy/scrollback mode, that should allow you move up and down with the arrow keys, and as I said esc for exit to regular mode. – Agomezl Nov 3 '13 at 18:31
right on on the [. How should I have known that if not told by you? I did look at the screen documentation, but didn't see it. Thanks! – user1032531 Nov 5 '13 at 6:55

Ctrl-A ? To get help.


Whether uppercase A or lowercase a depends on your system.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.