Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the name of that black connector from MacBook 2.1?

edit: The black connector is used to connect optical drive. I've read on late Macs, it's a SATA interface, which someone replace the optical drive with a SATA HDD. So just want to know whether my interface is.

What's that black thing?

share|improve this question
I wouldn't be surprised if it did not have a name, only a numerical description... but I have no idea. – Mike Cooper Nov 7 '09 at 7:35
Found in your laptop, to connect HD or CD? May be proprietary, and no popular name. – gbarry Nov 7 '09 at 7:36
Did you make this picture yourself, or did you find it in some ad at eCRATER? – Arjan Nov 7 '09 at 9:53
More information please: from what machine (brand, model?), from what part of the machine (near the cpu, near the disk?), is this a 1996 or a 2009 machine, what does the other side of the card look like? – Torben Gundtofte-Bruun Nov 7 '09 at 10:14
And how big is it? And doe the small light-grey parts on the bottom left and right indicate something is broken, or is that just the light on some inclined part? – Arjan Nov 7 '09 at 13:14
up vote -1 down vote accepted
  1. Your picture is not too good
    • You have not given any notes about where you got this from

I'd hazard a guess that its a SCSI connector.
There are 25 pins on each side (i think) and it looks like it might go well with
the Centronics SCSI 50pin connector from the link I give below.
don't have enough confidence on it yet... the plastics do not match too well.

This cheat-sheet reference should help you try matching better,
and also give you suggestions how to take connector pictures :-)
And, here is a link to the Apple Mac SCSI FAQ for further perusal.
Look for the Internal 50pin SCSI interface.

Update: First-hand-information from kinokijuf indicates it is a PATA connector.
You should re-check based on this detail.

share|improve this answer
+1 for counting the solder-thingies. 25 indeed :-) – Arjan Nov 7 '09 at 13:13
Not sure about your answer. But the reference you give is pretty good. Thanks. – Cheng Nov 8 '09 at 15:43
-1 It’s not SCSI, it’s PATA. Slimline drives used this wierd connecter (i have one of these lying around). – kinokijuf Feb 10 '12 at 17:33

Probably a internal SATA connector for the SuperDrive (DVD burner).

iFixit is my one-stop place for any teardowns/information on taking apart/repairing Apple products.

I hazarded a guess based on your model description (Macbook 2,1).

share|improve this answer

Now it seems a PATA connector to the optical drive. Because this whole thing might be a converter, so not sure what's the interface onboard yet.

share|improve this answer
Welcome at Super User, but: please read the FAQs and do not ignore "Are you sure you want to answer your own question? If you're responding to answers left on your question, use the comments link under each answer." This is not a forum. Thanks! – Arjan Nov 7 '09 at 18:38
I can confirm it’s PATA. I have one of those old drives running around. – kinokijuf Feb 10 '12 at 17:33

That looks like a internal sata connector, upside down.

But more information would be really helpful. What was this taken out of? What was it connected to?

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .