I have a puzzle for you; I've been banging my head against the wall for the past week trying to figure this out, and I just have no idea what it could possibly be. If you can figure it out I will give you many, many Internet cookies.
Two USB Keyboards (specifically: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and Ducky Shiny Zero) disconnect/reconnect at least once every 5 minutes when plugged into my desktop.
Troubleshooting things tried
- Bought a new keyboard
- Tried uninstalling/reinstalling keyboard drivers
- Tried uninstalling/reinstalling Windows
- Tried unchecking all the boxes in Device Manager that allows Windows to turn off this USB device to save power
- Tried using every single USB slot on my computer
- Tried unplugging every other USB device except my keyboard
- Cheap, wireless Logitech keyboard does NOT flicker when plugged into my desktop.
- Razer Blackwidow does NOT flicker when plugged into my laptop (which is running Ubuntu)
- No other USB devices have this flickering problem on my desktop
- I've had my box and Razer Blackwidow for quite a few years. This only recently (past week or so) started being a big problem.
- OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit (also flickers in Win 7 Pro SP2 64 bit)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20 GHz
- Mobo: ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM Rev x.0x
- RAM: 4 GB
- PSU: ATX 12V V2.3, AC input (110-120/220-240v~), DC output (3.3v/5v+), Max output (120w 276w)
Things I don't think it is
- Mobo short - the Logitech keyboard should also flicker
- Keyboard short - both keyboard would have to have a short, and they should also flicker on my laptop
My current running theory is that both keyboards are trying to pull too much power which causes the USB hub to reset, which would make the keyboard think it's being disconnected/reconnected. The cheap Logitech keyboard, which isn't trying to poll at 1000, does not pull too much power and thus stays connected.