I've got a system running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Windows Update shows that it is fully updated with regard to patches. However, on both Firefox and Chrome, if loading a site with a bad hostname, instead of the ordinary error pages for those respective browsers, I simply get strange plain text pages that say: (using
badhostname.com as an example)
Can't connect to badhostname.com:80 (Bad hostname) LWP::Protocol::http::Socket: Bad hostname 'badhostname.com' at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/LWP/Protocol/http.pm line 51.
However, quite oddly, Internet Explorer still displays its ordinary "The website cannot display the page" page.
I'll outline the steps I've taken to debug below. At this point, I'm struggling to think of any other possible causes other than some sort of malware that is intercepting my web requests, and is inadvertently revealing itself on bad page loads. Seems odd that it wouldn't reveal itself on Internet Explorer, however. Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts?
Steps I've already taken in debugging:
The problem seems to be isolated to this one computer, as other computers on the same network don't show this aberrant behavior, and show the ordinary error pages. Based on this, I ruled out that this could be a problem with the configuration of my network or ISP.
I've run Firefox in Safe Mode, and Chrome in an Incognito tab, and the problem is still present in both, ruling out problematic add-ons.
Under Windows Control Panel => Internet Options => Connections => LAN settings, I've confirmed that there is no proxy server set.
I've changed my DNS servers to OpenDNS, disconnected, and reconnected to my network.
I've rebooted the problem computer.
I've rebooted my router.
I've run Microsoft Security Essentials with current definitions, and it didn't find anything.
I've Googled for the error message, and nothing seems relevant.