Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to cut down on my keyboard Schizophrenia...

I work on a Mac at work and I can type Umlauts via Option+u, key

Example: Option+u (Release), a gives ä

On my home PC (Linux, Opensuse 12) I press Compose+", a.

I also type in Dvorak... so the Mac way of typing umlauts seems much much easier to my fingers. Anyone know how to change the compose key sequences on Linux to change umlauts to Compose+u?


-- Solution I used --

found this post:

and I edited my xkb/us file as described BUT with dvorak keys:

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "dev-de" {
name[Group1]= "USA - German developers";
include "us(dvorak)"
include "ctrl(nocaps)"

key <AC04> { [ u, U, udiaeresis, Udiaeresis ] };
key <AC02> { [ o, O, odiaeresis, Odiaeresis ] };
key <AC01> { [ a, A, adiaeresis, Adiaeresis ] };
key <AC10> { [ s, S, ssharp, S ] };

include "level3(ralt_switch)"

Now I can just do:

setxkbmap us dev-de

and type umlauts with ralt. Äwesöme

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Instead of using your compose key, what you want is to assign your third level modifier to a modifier key in Linux. This modifier works exactly the same as Mac OS X's option key, by default. I did this some time ago using Ubuntu and Mint, and if you're on KDE or Gnome, it should be easy to set up.

I assigned my third level modifier to my leftmost Meta key, as that's in a similar location as the Option key would be on a Mac keyboard.

To do this, go to your keyboard preferences and assign a key as your third level modifier.

Some pages that may help you with this are:

The UI may have changed a bit, but if you know what you're looking for, you might find out how to assign it.

share|improve this answer
Ok, great answer. I didn't use this exact answer but it pointed me in the correct place. Thanks! See my edit in the question – Shaun Nov 21 '13 at 19:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .