Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit | Dell Core i5 laptop, 4GB RAM
Internet Explorer 10 (upgraded to 11 - problem persists)
- IE 10 - Advanced/Reset/Delete Personal Settings - problem persists
- Update to IE 11 - problem persists
- IE security settings - Reset all Zones to default level - problem persists
- MalwareBytes - full scan found nothing
- Microsoft Security Essentials - full scan found nothing
- MalwareBytes AntiRootkit - full scan found nothing
- ComboFix - ran fairly quickly with no reboots, reported nothing
- ADW Cleaner - ran, cleaned a few odds and ends - problem persists
- Many websites are not displaying the full page in IE (Facebook comes up with a blank white screen after signing in).
- Many website's buttons do not work in IE (clicking "Download" buttons or "Submit" buttons results in no action)
- Many websites in IE are not showing interactive objects (installing Adobe Reader, for example, the website does not display the optional offers and clicking the Install now button does nothing)
I'm also wondering if there's some deep seated virus or rootkit that is giving me false positives on all my cleaning tools. I ran rkill and then some additional scans, but nothing is turning up.
The Event Viewer doesn't show any hard drive problems.
Google Chrome seems to work better, but downloading files like Adobe Reader and some utilities seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes the files don't run after downloading, etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Update: ran SFC: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations - problem persists
uninstalled IE 11 - problem persists
ran McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool - multiple bizarre issues are gone!