I have recently upgraded a working Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop with Windows Vista to Windows 8 and subsequently Windows 8.1 (all 32-bit).
Sound was working prior to the upgrade. After the upgrade, sound no longer works. The symptoms are as follows:
- No sound through speakers or headphones
- On the "volume" button on the taskbar, there are no devices to adjust.
- The Device Manager as devices as "speaker" and "spdif"
- "Playback devices" lists no usable devices (even when requesting disabled or missing devices)
The official driver page lists drivers for 32-bit Vista. Attempting to install the appropriate device (SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.18.104.22.16814, A03) yields the following error, even when attempting to run in Vista compatibility mode:
- "Device object not found"
Looking at the FAQ has some suggestions, but:
- The uninstall/reinstall procedure yields no results
- The IDT Driver Option says it cannot continue until the SigmaTel driver is uninstalled (which is not listed anywhere!).
I'm running out of options. Has anyone solved this issue?