I am the recent owner of a new Levono Yoga 2. The specs of this are:
- 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4500U Processor (1.80GHz 1600MHz 4MB)
- Intel® HD Graphics 4400
- 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
- 512GB SSD
It's a great bit of kit. However I am having problems running VMware and/or VirtualBox.
I am trying to run Ubuntu 13.10, but the guest OS seems so so slow. Not just the GUI, which I sort of understand at very high resolutions, but the actual speed of it overall. For example, running:
rails s which starts a Ruby on Rails web server takes around 10-15 seconds to load, while running this on my other Ubuntu laptop takes less than a second. Lots of other tasks also seem to take a long time.
These are the things I have tried:
- Switched from 1 processor to 4 and all the ones in between.
- Uninstalled local graphics driver to default to Windows driver, and tried all resolutions.
- Made sure that Unity / Gnome are using 3D acceleration and they are.
- Switched dynamic hard drive to fixed allocation and all different filesystems.
- Tried all Virtualization Types.
- Enabled / Disabled Virtualization in BIOS.
- Changed memory from 1GB to 4GB and back again.
I am using the 64-bit Ubuntu, and I have set VMware to 64-bit and 32-bit, but it is still the same. I have tried all similar options in VirtualBox too.
I am a bit stuck on this one. I cannot see any more options to change.