I want to access an Oracle database from Python's cx_Oracle module using my laptop (Windows XP SP3). The DB is hosted on a remote server configured by a third party. They set up a PPTP VPN for doing so.
Now when I bring my laptop to my office, everything works fine.
However, when I take the exact same steps on the same laptop at home, something goes wrong and I'm not sure what. The symptoms are
- I can usually connect flawlessly to the VPN (or so it seems anyway)
- My entire internet connection seems slow when VPN connected
- Pinging the DB host usually (but not always) times out
- When using
tracerton the DB host, the first steps are OK, later ones tend to time out
- DB requests tend to time out
- I succeeded only once (out of some 25 attempts) to actually access the DB
I suspect the problem is in my home router (Zyxel p-2812hnu-f1) but I'm not very familiar with networking and I don't know what may be likely causes - let alone how to fix it.
"VPN" is mentioned only once in its entire manual so that doesn't really help either.
Any suggestions are more than appreciated.