Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to find a backup software for Ubuntu that will create backups in chunks for specified limit.

Think of it like splitting a RAR into multiple 50mb files.

I've tried Back In Time and Simple Backup but both are not offering that feature.

Can you recommend a program that does?

If there's no such program, perhaps even snapshot-catching backup script that does the same would also work.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

This is what I'd do,

tar cfj target.tar.bz2 [files]
split -b=BYTESIZE target.tar.bz2 splitpack.
# Note: the '.' at the end is part of my command

The files can be rejoined with,

cat splitpack.* > target-repack.tar.bz2
#   =========^= this is how the '.' works

Try this out and check with

diff target.tar.bz2 target-repack.tar.bz2

Do read the short manual page for split for its simple options.

share|improve this answer
I been trying this tar cvj --listed-incremental fullbackup.snar /home | split -d -b 48m - /media/sdb1/full-backup/date '+%Y-%m'/full-backup.tar.bz2.split It created the tarballs for me alright. But does it really give me incremental backup the next time I run it? – GRex Nov 12 '09 at 12:57
@GRex, For incremental backup with tar and timestamp data look at this answer:…, can be converted to your requirements. – nik Nov 12 '09 at 14:16

you can create a tarball and then split it. see man tar and man split for more information. I recommend xz compression.

also there are rsnap? is capable of creating incremental backups with rsync, although for incremental I'd ask myself if a version control system might work.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.