Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My laptop is T400 coming with 32-bit Windows 7 Home edition. Since T400 CPU is 64-bit, I am considering to install 64-bit Windows instead, probably Windows 7 or 8 Home or Professional or Ultimate. I don't have the installation CD or DVD of any of the OSes. If I can find someone has one, is it allowed to borrow and install it on my laptop?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Moses, Kevin Panko, random Jan 11 '14 at 3:13

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Do do not fully agree. The question is not just "Where can I get install media or ISOs", but also on legal aspects. (The "is it allowed to borrow" part). Where do I download Windows 7 (legally from Microsoft)? does have the line *Yes it is legal as long as you have a legitimate key", but I feel that that one line is insufficient to answer this question. – Hennes Dec 23 '13 at 10:48
up vote 5 down vote accepted

If I can find someone has one, is it allowed to borrow and install it on my laptop?

Using a different CD/DVD is not a problem. You can even download the ISOs from a safe source (See this link).

However you will need a legal CoA. In most cases the CoA you got when you bought the 32 bit version of windows 7 will work fine for the 64 bit version (and do so legally).

In the case of OEMs there sometimes are exceptions, so check that before installing.

share|improve this answer
What is CoA? My current Windows 7 is 32-bit and home version. Can I use the same CoA for 64-bit and Profesional version, Windows 7 or 8? – T... Dec 22 '13 at 19:32
Certificate of Authority. The key you need to enter. (The thing which looks like this: ABCDE-12345-FGHIJ-67890-KLMN) – Hennes Dec 22 '13 at 19:33
A key for windows 7 home will only work on windows 7 home (either 32 or 64 bit). – Hennes Dec 22 '13 at 19:35
Is CoA different for different person, different computer, or can it be shared between different persons and computers? – T... Dec 22 '13 at 20:01
YOu get the CoA when you buy a license for the OS. Usually you get one CoA and are allowed to install it on one computer. You are allowed to move it to another computer, but not use it on two computer simultaneouly. (E.g. install windows on a laptop, enter the key and use it. Then wipe the whole laptop and install windows on a desktop and activate it with the same key). – Hennes Dec 22 '13 at 22:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.