Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use the keyboard to navigate webpages, but sometimes the focus will be on some element on the webpage that the keyboard will not respond to mouse down and space bar presses.

Is there a global shortcut to bring the focus back to the main window/HTML element so that key presses such as space and direction arrows will work?

share|improve this question

If you simply press Tab, the focus should shift to the next element in the webpage. In most cases you should be able to regain control of the space and direction keys.

If this can help you, here is the full list of keyboard shortcuts in Chrome for Mac.

share|improve this answer
Thanks @pietrodn, but this doesn't reliably solve the problem. Many times I'll press Tab and the focus will go to another element that also takes over control of space bar and other keys. – M.K. Safi Dec 25 '13 at 22:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.