Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Are there software tools specifically for ms windows such as file downloaders that can be used for downloading partially downloaded file when url of downloaded file changes?

share|improve this question
I think one of the problems with this is that often there might be tiny changes in the two files. For this to have even a chance of working, both files would have to be exactly the same (same checksum) – Josh Hunt Nov 12 '09 at 2:19
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes, Pretty much any half decent download manager has this feature.

I have done this with Free Download Manager

share|improve this answer
s/descent/decent/ – pavium Nov 12 '09 at 2:39
and it's actually free – Andrey Nov 12 '09 at 2:46
@Pavium +1 - Thanks... Technical knowledge is my strong point, not spelling! – William Hilsum Nov 12 '09 at 2:55

I have not actually tried this but I suppose if wget is used with the '-c' option to continue on a download of the exact-same (say, matching md5sum) file from a different URL, it would continue from an incompletely downloaded file.


  • It is assumed that at least the second server in the above case supports continued download.
  • If the file in question appears to be different at this second server,
    various things can happen (look at the '-c' options detail at the link).
share|improve this answer

I think GetRight will do this. It will automatically search for mirrors, check the size and name of the file, and download from multiple sources. I think you can just add your new file as a source manually and it should do what you want. This program used to be free, I think it still is but I'm not sure.

share|improve this answer
It is a paid software – Andrey Nov 12 '09 at 3:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .