Since it is becoming increasingly common for internet service providers to 'mess' with their dns service (by resolving unknown names to ad pages, etc) or their service is just unreliable, please provide alternative dns servers that meet the following criteria:
- Reliable enough to provide low-latency responses
- Allow and/or encourage use 'outside' of the dns provider's own network
- DNS provider is know to be reputable (i.e. unlikely to provide malicious dns responses or become compromised)
For servers in your answer, please give the:
- name of the provider
- location(s) of the server(s) (i.e. Europe)
- nature of the service (free or pay/ad supported model such as with OpenDNS*, etc)
(optional)Other features available.
- Yes, I'm aware that OpenDNS also redirects 404's, among other things
This question provides some information on how to change the dns settings on your computer. You may also want to refer to the dns page for your home router if you have access.