I have a problem accessing file in linux Mint. The reason is obviously the unrecognized character(s) in the filename but none of the techniques I know helped me to rename it.
So, here are details: filename is something like:
or at least this is how my filemanager and terminal display it.
I cannot open the file with any program I use under linux Mint. media players, etc...
It cannot be renamed, moved or copied via file manager. All of these operations produce error messages similar to these:
Error renaming file: No such file or directory.
No such file or directory.
I have also tried rename command from terminal using wildcards. The command correctly picks the file name but cannot copy, here is the output:
cp *0_7-_* 1.mp3 cp: cannot open `êà_0_4àíòè_0_7-_0_7_0_8ó_0_1à333333.mp3' for reading: No such file or directory
I have also tried using mv command,
mv *0_7-_* 1.mp3 mv: cannot move `êà_0_4àíòè_0_7-_0_7_0_8ó_0_1à333333.mp3' to `1.mp3': No such file or directory
If I try to sudo rename then I get:
Unrecognized character \xC3; marked by <-- HERE after <-- HERE near column 1 at (eval 1) line 1.
File itself is a valid MP3 file. It can be opened by Windows Media Player under XP.
The problem is: I have a big music library (over 100Gb) and there are few dosens of similar files with invalid characters in names. I don't want to loose these files and I would like to figure out how to handle such situations in future (in linux preferably, because I don't own a pc that runs windows).
Any help will be appreciated
as requested by terdon, here is the outout of
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE= LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL=
UPDATE 2 I have just checked with my friends XP machine. And I can confirm following findings. The original file can be played by Windows Media Player but it cannot be played by Winamp. However after accessing and renaming it through filemanager it is played by both players.
So I conclude that this is a problem with unrecognized character. I am still interested in solution under linux though,