Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The capacity of my hard drive is 500 GiB. 150 GB of data got deleted accidently. I didn't write any byte to the drive after that incident, so my data is guaranteed to be there. I have tried apps like Recuva, all apps show that the data is there and allow me to save the data in a different location, but the problem is I don't want to do that.

I just want that the files are again marked as not deleted in the MFT. Is there any app available for this purpose? I searched a lot but didn't find anything, is it possible to unmark files as deleted in the MFT or am I missing something?

share|improve this question
Actually, in the old DOS days, undelete and unerase did exactly that, but Windows programs tend to copy files. I don’t think that I’ve seen any that literally un-delete files. I didn't write any byte to the drive after that incident, so my data is guaranteed to be there. Maybe, but that doesn’t mean that they are recoverable; any files that are fragmented will probably only let you get the first chunk of the file back. –  Synetech Jan 4 at 15:06
AFAIK, normally the entry for the folder / file is removed from MFT when you delete a file. It may not be as simple as turning a bit on or off. –  Ganesh R. Jan 4 at 15:20
@GaneshR. That's what I want to do, I want to re-add the entry in the MFT, isn't this possible? The data is already there in the hard drive, it only needs to be registered in the filesystem. –  Don't Forget to Upvote Jan 4 at 15:22
Recuva shows me the file name and the folder in which the file was situated. –  Don't Forget to Upvote Jan 4 at 15:24
@Don'tForgettoUpvote Just a recommendation, if you can recover the files using a file recovery tool, start doing that. Your approach is interesting but I would personally retrieve the files first and then experiment :) –  Ganesh R. Jan 4 at 15:25
show 6 more comments

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.