OK, long story as short as I can make it:
- Kept having 'waiting for server' issues when going online via browser or FTP
- Reset router, etc. - same issue
- Tried Google DNS & OpenDNS - same issue
- Contacted ISP & sent a traceroute
- Traceroute showed issues at the 7th and 12-13th hops
- ISP said it's not their issue - issue is apparently that "certain sites rent bandwidth from that gateway and if traffic exceeds that then that is where you start to see those issues. Unfortunately we have no control over this issue"
- ISP advised using a proxy or VPN (I'm not too keen in this area)
- Researched proxies - seemed kinda sketchy security-wise
- ISP said VPN was best bet but couldn't advise further
I understand that the only way to change my routing to a specific destination is via VPN or proxy.
How can I set up a VPN to fix my issue? I'm assuming I would need to set up my own VPN server at home? Can this be done on the FiOS router directly (MI424WR) or do I need additional hardware to set this up? I'm using OS X 10.9.