I would like to do the following:
- Create a shortcut to a folder (say mLink.lnk --> C:\tmp)
- This will be emailed to users
- Move and/or rename the folder (C:\tmp --> C:\tmp2)
- Setup intermediate step for the previous shortcut to work
- Basically the mLink.lnk emailed shortcut would then open up C:\tmp2
It seems you should be able to use mklink and setup a symbolic link on the previous folder location (C:\tmp) to then point to the new location. Basically have the following setup:
mLink.lnk --> c:tmp --> c:\tmp2
Unfortunately, I am not able to create symbolic links on the network share I am hoping to have these shortcuts to. I get
The device does not support symbolic links error when I run mklink.
Is there a different way I can do this? Or does the restriction against symbolic links basically prevent me from doing this?