Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an option in Local Group Policy (LGP) under Windows 7 to switch back to the default settings as they were before user changed them in LGP?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

As far as I know there isn't an easy way to revert back to the default settings. You can do the following though:

With the Local Group Policy Editor open expand to the following node:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\All Settings

and sort by the State column. Any policy that is set using that editor will show on top. Repeat the same process for the User Configuration node. If they set anything else in the Windows Settings or Software Settings node you'll have to look at each option and know which one is set or not.

If you are connected to a domain, the domain will override any conflicting settings that are set on the local machine.

To prevent someone from making changes to the local group policy remove their user account from the Administrator group.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, I do believe that this is the 'only fast way' to check if there is anything changed in LGP. Thanks, I marked this as the answer to my question. – monospace Nov 16 '09 at 12:17

Delete these files:


Then run this command:

gpupdate.exe /force
share|improve this answer
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
share|improve this answer

In case someone comes across this thread, note that MS does not recommend using the

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

mentioned above since it is unsupported:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.