Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The fans on my Clevo W230ST haven't stopped blowing since I installed Mint. I thought the video card drivers might be at fault so I tried:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo nvidia-xconfig

On restart, the resolution was set to 640x480 and I haven't been able to figure out how to change it back. The display settings don't have any any other selectable options and nothing else I've done (purging/reinstalling nvidia programs, deleting xorg.conf, changing the refresh rate in xorg.conf, and re-installing xserver-xorg.

I don't think drivers are actually installed. Driver Manager says there aren't any proprietary drivers and nvidia-settings tells me to "run nvidia-xconfig as root" even after I've just done so.

share|improve this question
That thing has an nVidia Optimus thingy're in for a fun ride. – Bobby Feb 10 '14 at 12:08
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think bumblebee managed to install itself correctly either, when I try to run a program with it I get [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:1:0:0 – Adam Pearce Feb 10 '14 at 14:46

please paste here what lspci says about the graphics

you may need to update pciids - sudo update-pciids before.

usually the problem appears if nvidia kernel driver is not compiled for some reason.

you can check it by running modprobe nvidia or modprobe nvidia-current and see if is loaded with lsmod or not.

also could be that nvidia-current doesn't support your graphics card. there are nvidia-legacy-* packages for cards not supported by nvidia-current package.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.