Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've installed a couple of Input Method Editors (IMEs) while trying to learn some Chinese.

Clicking the shift key on its own normally changes between Chinese input and English / ASCII input.

But once in a while it will switch to fullwidth mode for seemingly no reason.

When this happens I can't seem to find a way to switch it back to normal width mode. I would prefer a way to do it from the keyboard, but a way to do it from the system tray would also be worth knowing:

language bar

share|improve this question

Aha, I finally found the answer after posting here.

On a site for learning Chinese and Japanese called "Skritter" is a 2011 post from user "peanutbutter":

BUT if you happen to press Shift + space bar, you get that weird ugly spaced font we see above. Pressing shift + space makes it toggle back.

Now I can switch back and forth at will!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.