Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a tool that would allow me to change the file creation time and file modified time on a list of files?

Must be able to work in the NTFS and FAT32 file systems.

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Total Commander is of course the answer to all file management problems! However if you only want to change dates (and other file properties), Better File Attributes is a cheaper alternative.

Better File Attributes

It's a shell extension (added to the context menu of files) that allows you to change creation, access and modification date and time.

If you want a freeware application, SetFileDate will do the trick too.


share|improve this answer
I'll accept the free ware solution SetFileDate as the answer. Thank you. –  Mark Tomlin Nov 18 '09 at 13:13

Total Commander enables you to change creation date and time for a file.

  • select one or more files
  • select menu Files -> Change attributes
  • in lower part of the form that opened click More attributes button
  • for property select creationdate to change time and date (creatiotime if you only want to change time)
  • click on >> button and enter value for date and time you want, then click OK
share|improve this answer

This can be done by using powershell to modify a list of FileInfo objects, for example:

Get-ChildItem G:\test\*.bak | foreach { $_.CreationTime = get-date "1/1/1982 1:00 pm"; $_.LastWriteTime = (get-date).AddDays(-1)}
share|improve this answer

BulkFileChanger is a pretty nifty free utility as well!


Of course there are also many advanced command-line file touch utilities as well that you can use in scripts, batch files and the like (such as this and this).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.