Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I intend to buy a keyboard with mechanical switches. Some are available with different types of switches.

Deck has linear and tactile. Cherry has three different types which are sometimes referred to by their color:

  • Linear = black
  • Soft = brown
  • Click = blue

I found enough technical information about the different types (even force-deflexion graphs), but that doesn't really help to decide which fits me best.

As it's not easily possible to try all of them I'd like to know about your experiences. If you have a mechanical keyboard and know what type of switches it contains, I'd like to hear your opinion.

I also would like to know which type of switches the 'Das Keyboard' uses. People seem to be happy with it so this type is probably OK.

share|improve this question
Hey Ludwig - which one did you go for in the end and are you happy with your choice? – dwynne Feb 9 '10 at 23:30
I have a Cherry G80-3000-LSCEU-0 for about two months now. It's the one with the click pressure point (blue switches). I'm very happy with it and I consider buying one for work too. I was quite concerned that it might be too noisy but that turned out to be no problem. It is louder than an ordinary keyboard, but really not that much. – Ludwig Weinzierl Feb 10 '10 at 10:13
Thanks for the feedback. I've just ordered a Filco Majestouch and decided to go with the brown switch (described as Tactile rather than soft). – dwynne Feb 10 '10 at 22:06
dwynee, don't forget to tell us here, how it works:-) – Ludwig Weinzierl Feb 10 '10 at 23:02
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I believe that over the time, I've used all of them (keyboard switch types), and although one can feel the difference after switching from one to another, it hardly mattered in the long run. Key distribution was always more important.

I really can't see it making any difference that's worth fussing about.

The sound of the key upon pressing can be sometimes important. I'm still searching for a keyboard which will have that distintive feel upon pressing, while still being quiet (my home workdesk is in the bedroom, which can present problems if someone is sleeping). Same goes for the mouse.

share|improve this answer

I have always been an enormous fan of the IBM Model M keyboard, pictured here:

Model M

The Model M's keys use a buckling spring mechanism. You will be absolutely certain when you have pressed a key.

Not only do you feel it, but also you hear it. The Model M emits a loud click whenever a key is pressed or released.

The Model M has removable, swappable keycaps, is dishwasher safe, and is virtually bulletproof.

If you haven't tried using a Model M, then you're missing everything!

share|improve this answer
"is bulletproof" ? – Rook Nov 18 '09 at 23:57
Also, one intersting point ... on my late (some 10 years ago) return was a big one. Also, ibm model M. I'm now searching wikipedia, and they all have small ones ... – Rook Nov 18 '09 at 23:59
It's virtually bulletproof, anyhow. It has a heavy slab of steel inside. – eleven81 Nov 19 '09 at 0:42
Well, in that case, if you don't mind - YOU hold the keyboard, and I'LL shoot ;-) – Rook Nov 19 '09 at 1:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .