I'd like to start working on a novel, and I've been looking into authoring software. I've been impressed with StoryMill on the Mac, but I prefer to support open-source alternatives.
Does anyone know of a decent open-source solution for writing fiction/novels? I've used Latex for writing papers (long ago), but the overhead syntactically is pretty high. I'm looking for something which has the ability to help track characters, locations, plots, etc. Since I work on both Mac and Linux, cross-platform support would also be nice.
Does anyone have any experience with open-source writing software?
EDIT: Here's a list of features I think would be helpful. Since this is my first foray into novel writing (I've done articles and poetry up to this point), I'm not 100% certain what would be best. I am, however, looking for something to help me organize and keep track the following:
- biographical details
- physical locations throughout the story
- interconnections w/other characters
- Plots and subplots
- names, geographic locations, descriptions
- significance (politically, religiously, etc.)
- what happened when in the story
- similar to Chapters, but overarching to the entire story
Of course, I'm not sure I'll find a single solution to track everything, but any suggestions are welcome.